Gateway Logo More Information
Golden Isles Coupons

Department Title
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Lodging
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Hotels & Resorts
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Bed & Breakfasts
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Beaches
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Vacation Rentals
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Real Esate
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Tours & Attractions
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Art Galleries
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Shopping & Gifts
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Restaurants
spacer
arrow Entertainment & Leisure
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Fishing
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Golf
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Spas & Fitness
spacer
arrow Nature & Outdoors
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Weddings
spacer
arrow Golden Isles Articles
spacer

Facts About St. Simons Island, Georgia

St. Simons Island Beach

St. Simons Island is one of Georgia's renowned Golden Isles (along with Sea Island, Jekyll Island, and Little St. Simons Island). It is also the largest of the Golden Isles. The town is a resort community and has many seasonal residents, as well as a steady base of year-round residents. Consequently, many of the residents are retired individuals from other parts of Georgia or the United States. Malcolm McKinnon Airport (IATA: SSI) is located on the island.

St. Simons Island is located in Glynn County, Georgia. According to the 2000 census, St. Simons Island had a population of 13,381.

History


Spanish Florida

During the 17th century, St. Simons Island was one of the most important settlements of the Mocama missionary province of Spanish Florida. After the founding of South Carolina in 1680, conflict between the English and Spanish wreaked havoc on the Sea Islands. James Moore of South Carolina led a combined land and sea invasion of Florida in 1702 which essentially destroyed the Spanish mission system on the islands. Surviving Indians were subjected to slave raids leaving the islands depopulated by the time the colony of Georgia was founded.


Photo: Fort Frederica

Fort Frederica


Fort Frederica, now Fort Frederica National Monument, was the military headquarters of the Province of Georgia during the early colonial period, and served as a buffer against Spanish incursion from Florida. Nearby is the site of the Battle of Gully Hole Creek and Battle of Bloody Marsh, where on July 7, 1742, the British ambushed Spanish troops marching single file through the marsh and routed them from the island, which marked the end of the Spanish efforts to invade Georgia during the War of Jenkins' Ear.[4]




Articles and Features RSS Articles and Features RSS

Privacy / Legal | Contact Us | Site Index | Coupons | Back To Home

Copyright 2011 by Gateway to The Golden Isles ®  and Trade Winds Advertising Inc. All rights reserved.

No part of this Web site may be copied for resale or redistribution without prior legal consent of the publishers in writing and is secured under protection of US and International copyright Laws.
See Privacy / Legal section for use and restrictions.

Publisher: Trade Winds Advertising Inc., P.O. Box 11563, Fernandina Beach, FL 32035 • Tel: (904) 432-8398


Notice: The Gateway To The Golden Isles website and Trade Winds Advertising Inc. is not affiliated with and does not endorse products or services of its members,  advertisers and sponsors. Opinions, beliefs, methods and ideas expressed in articles and pages on this web site belong to their respective independent authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs, ideas and methods of the publisher. If you use this Web site, you agree to hold Gateway To The Golden Isles and the Publisher, Trade Winds Advertising Inc, harmless against all claims, liability or incidental damages arising from use of information, products or services provided herein.